Patient Eagerly Awaited Opening of New College Station Hospital

swcs

Belva Field and Benjamin White, PT

For more than seven months, College Station resident Belva Field tolerated the pain in her right hip, knowing the clock was ticking towards hip replacement surgery. For her, waiting a few months was a small price to pay to have her surgery where she wanted it, at the new Scott & White Hospital – College Station.

“Well Dr. O’Shea did my first surgery and it went so well that I wanted him to do this one so I waited, and I waited for the whole team,” Field said. “I have great confidence in Dr. O’Shea and his team,” Field said. “The technology is wonderful, but that’s just a tool, it’s really the people. I wanted to wait for them.”

Field had her left hip replaced six years ago by Dr. O’Shea, and an X-ray in January revealed that Field also needed her right hip replaced. The 77-year-old knew she could tolerate the pain long enough for wait for the new hospital to open, and Field was one of the first surgeries on August 19 when the hospital did open its doors. She was there at 6 am ready for her procedure, and is now glad it’s over.

“I’m glad it’s behind me now,” she said. “I feel wonderful.”

A long-time Brazos Valley resident, Field’s family is familiar with Scott & White. Her grandfather was successfully treated for cancer in Temple. Now she’s grateful that care is being extended even more.

“I love Scott & White. I have great confidence in them,” Field said. “And now we don’t have to travel as far.”

The patients weren’t the only ones excited for the new facility to open. Her orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Thomas O’Shea, has been at Scott & White for nearly 20 years and was ready for the day the doors opened in the hospital.

“It feels really good,” said Dr. O’Shea. “We’ve been waiting for this day a long time. We’ve talked about a hospital in this community for at least the past 15 years so it’s really nice that the time has finally come.”

The 143-bed capacity acute care facility, located at the intersection of Texas Hwy 6 and Rock Prairie Road, is now fully operational and is joined with a new clinic facility.

The hospital houses an emergency department, comprehensive cardiac services including cardiac catheterization labs, neonatal intensive care unit and many other specialty services. Clinic services include a neuroscience center, cancer center, women and children’s services, orthopedic care, as well as other specialties, all supported by state-of-the-art imaging technology and other diagnostic capabilities.

Comments